Climate change is now affecting every country on every continent. It influences national economies and impacts on lives, people, communities and countries. Weather patterns are changing, sea levels are rising, weather events are becoming more extreme and greenhouse gas emissions are increasing. The European Union supports climate action and environmental and nature protection not only through its commitment to United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), but also through its funding instruments. Climate action and transition to low-carbon economy is and will continue to be a priority for the EU, present in its strategies as well as financing priorities.
The LIFE programme is the EU’s funding programme dedicated to support environment, nature conservation and climate action projects throughout the Union.
The 2019 LIFE calls are now open with a wide range of projects and topics covered.
Environment sub-programme, funding nature conservation projects in particular in the areas of biodiversity, habitats and species:
- Environment and resource efficiency traditional projects – deadline for submitting a concept note: 17 June 2019
- Nature and biodiversity traditional projects – deadline for submitting a concept note: 19 June 2019
- Environmental governance and information traditional projects – deadline for submitting a concept note: 19 June 2019
- Integrated projects under the sub-programme for environment – deadline for submitting a concept note: 5 September 2019
- Technical assistance Projects under the sub-programme for environment – deadline for submitting: 12 June 2019
Climate action sub-programme, supporting projects in the areas of renewable energies, energy efficiency, farming, land use and peatland management:
- Climate change mitigation traditional projects – deadline for submitting the full proposal: 12 September 2019
- Climate change adaptation traditional projects – deadline for submitting the full proposal: 12 September 2019
- Climate governance and information traditional projects – deadline for submitting the full proposal: 12 September 2019
- Integrated projects under the sub-programme for climate action – deadline for submitting a concept note: 5 September 2019
- Technical Assistance Projects under the sub-programme for climate action – Deadline for submitting: 12 June 2019
Operating grants for NGOs:
- Call for proposals for operating grants to support non-governmental organisations (NGOs) in view of concluding framework partnership agreements (FPAs) and specific grant agreements (SGAs) – Deadline for submitting FPA proposals: 3 June 2019
LIFE helps to make the application of EU environmental and climate legislation and policies consistent across the EU, exchange best practices, transfer know-how and make better use of project results. The programme provides action grants for pilot and demonstration projects to develop, test and demonstrate policy or management approaches. Projects creating technologies and solutions that are ready to be implemented are particularly welcomed by the European Commission.
Support services are in place to help applicants and those considering applying for funding to navigate through the fund. Each EU Member State has its national contact points across the various sub-programmes to help with your application.