The European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) provides economic, environmental, and social supports for rural areas, through a variety of schemes, which aim to:

  • foster knowledge transfer and innovation in agriculture, forestry, and rural areas
  • enhance the viability and competitiveness of all types of agriculture, and promote innovative farm technologies and sustainable forest management
  • promote food chain organisation, animal welfare and risk management in agriculture
  • restore, preserve, and enhance ecosystems related to agriculture and forestry
  • promote resource efficiency and support the shift toward a low-carbon and climate-resilient economy in the agriculture, food, and forestry sectors
  • promote social inclusion, poverty reduction and economic development in rural areas

EU Budget

For the EAFRD, the total allocation amounts to €95.5 billion. This includes €8.1 billion from the next generation EU recovery instrument to help address the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic. Around 30% of the recovery funds will become available in 2021, with the remaining 70% to be released in 2022. The funding period runs from 2021-2027.

Open Calls for Proposals

Administered by

Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine