As a global ocean actor and a major producer of seafood, the EU has a responsibility to protect and sustainably use the oceans and their resources. It is also in the EU’s socio-economic interest to guarantee the availability of food supplies, the competitiveness of the maritime economy and the livelihood of coastal communities.
The fund helps achieve sustainable fisheries and conserve marine biological resources. The aim of the programme is to:
- Help fishermen transition to sustainable fishing
- Support coastal communities in diversifying their economies
- Finance projects that create new jobs and improve quality of life along European coasts
- Support sustainable aquaculture developments
- Make it easier for applicants to access financing.
Total budget for 2021-2027 is €6.108 billion
Who can Apply?
Individuals, Groups, Businesses
The implementing body is the Marine Agencies & Programmes Division in the Department of Agriculture, Food, and the Marine. However, many of the Grants are administered by Bórd Iascaigh Mhara (BIM).