The ERDF aims to strengthen economic and social cohesion across the EU by correcting imbalances between its regions. It co-finances investments into the regions with Governments to support activities in the regions contributing to a balanced level of development.
Its funding priorities for the 2021-2027 period seek to make Europe and its regions:
- More competitive and smarter, through innovation and support to small and medium-sized businesses, as well as digitisation and digital connectivity
- Greener, low-carbon and resilient
- More connected by enhancing mobility
- More social, supporting effective and inclusive employment, education, skills, social inclusion and equal access to healthcare, as well as enhancing the role of culture and sustainable tourism
- Closer to citizens, supporting locally-led development and sustainable urban development across the EU
€313 million for the 2021-2027 programme period.
There are two operational programmes in Ireland and the priorities for each programme are still being finalised. The programmes are as follows:
- Southern and Eastern Regional Operational Programme
- Border, Midland and Western Regional Operational Programme
North West Regional Assembly – David Minton email@example.com
Southern Regional Assembly – David Kelly dKelly@southernassembly.ie